6 Tips for Healthy Eating While Traveling
It's the beginning of a new year, and many of us are trying to shed a few holiday pounds or at least get back into a normal eating routine. If you're traveling for work or leisure this month, sticking to healthy habits can be an even bigger challenge, since you don't have as much control over your food or schedule. But it's still possible! Below are a few simple tips for eating healthy while traveling. Commit to a few of these before you leave, and you'll likely return home feeling and looking your best -- plus, you’ll still get to indulge a bit and enjoy the best of Orange County!
1. Choose your indulgences wisely. If you want a fruity cocktail by the pool, skip the fries at lunch. If you want dessert after dinner, have a salad broth-based soup for your entree. You can splurge on something everyday, you just can’t splurge on everything everyday.
2. Be active. Toss a frisbee on the beach. Jump in the waves with the kids. Play volleyball in the pool. Head out for a family hike. Walk as many places as you can. Burning calories in the Southern California sunshine isn’t a chore - it’s fun!
3. Limit alcohol. Don’t worry, you can still sip a cocktail or two while you're away. Just keep in mind that alcoholic beverages are “empty calories,” and may lower your inhibitions causing you to eat unhealthy foods or eat more in general. Be sure to drink plenty of water between cocktails, and limit your consumption to one drink per day.
4. Eat the local cuisine. Every part of the world has their own culinary specialties, and luckily much of Orange County's cuisine is light and based around fresh in-season produce. Try as many local fruits and veggies as you can, order unique salads or veggie-heavy soups when eating out, or head to one of Orange County's great year-round farmer's markets, where you just may find a new favorite food!
5. Pack your swimsuit or a fitted outfit. This may sound silly, but if you're putting on a swimsuit for a dip in the hot tub, or wearing tight jeans to dinner one night, you probably won’t be as tempted to overeat. Bring a couple form-fitting outfits that will motivate you to keep your shape while away on vacation.
6. Do a little research before you go. Whether or not you stick to healthy habits depends largely on how well you plan ahead (this goes for both at home and away!). Before taking off, search Healthy Dining Finder for the many restaurants in Orange County with healthy menu options. Also check out these resources to see how you can build other healthy activities into your trip.
Now, pack your bags and come ready to have some fun!