Preview: The OC Fair is "Home Sweet Home!"
Who says you can't have livestock, pig races, fresh gardens and carnival rides right in the middle of suburban Orange County? The OC Fair is almost here, and this year's “Home Sweet Home” theme will bring lots of homegrown fun for the whole family.
The OC Fair runs from July 13 until August 12, and is open Wednesday-Sunday (Wednesday - Friday: noon – midnight, Saturday - Sunday: 10 a.m. – midnight). Annual favorites like the Millennium Barn, shopping, exhibits and fried foods will return, but there are also lots of new must-sees!
What's New at 2012 OC Fair:
- Food Truck vs. Food Truck Competition: Visiting gourmet food trucks will compete for the best food title on July 19 and 26. Free with fair admission.
- Yarn Bombing: Fair Square will get "bombed" with colorful yarn and crochet creations made by the public from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on July 15.
- Let Freedom Ring Exhibit & Salute to Heroes: This new, free exhibit will display steel beams from the World Trade Center. There will also be a tribute to our heroes video, fireworks and laser show every night at 8:20 p.m. outside The Hangar.
- Karaoke Rockstarz: Become a rockstar with this free karaoke event every night at 8 p.m. on the Meadows Stage.
- Chocolate Unwrapped: This new exhibit in the Exhibit Promenade puts the “sweet” in “Home Sweet Home.” Come learn how chocolate is made, from the bean to the bar.
Save on Admission:
- Opening Day: Free admission and parking on July 13 from noon-1 p.m.
- Military: All military (active and veterans) get free admission with I.D., daily
- Kids Free: Every Thursday, children 12 and younger are free – all day! (Thursdays, July 19, 26 & August 2, 9)
- Opening Hour: Arrive early at the 2012 OC Fair and get in for free!
- We Care Wednesdays: Free admission if you donate to the charity chosen each Wednesday. See website for schedule
- Weekends: $2 admission each Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-11 a.m.
Catch all the Fun Fair Entertainment:
- Don't miss the Toyota Summer Concert Series at the Pacific Amphitheater. This year there will be some stellar performances from the likes of: Willie Nelson & Family (Friday, July 13), Scotty McCreery / Attwater (Wednesday, July 18), Adam Lambert (Thursday, July 19), Sheryl Crow / honeyhoney (Wednesday, July 25), Earth, Wind & Fire (Saturday, July 28), Martina McBride (Friday, August 10) and Duran Duran (Saturday, August 11). Tickets and info
- Carnival Games and Rides: Save money every Friday with $2 rides & $2 games
- Free Entertainment:
- Karaoke Rockstarz every night at 8 p.m. on the Meadows Stage
- Peking Acrobats on the Plaza Art Stage
- Comedy hypnotist on the Plaza Art Stage
- All-Alaskan Racing Pigs (multiple shows daily in the Livestock Area)
- Events at the Action Sports Arena (seats are available on first-come, first-served basis and are free with admission, or you can purchase reserved seats)
- Free performances at The Hangar: original and tribute bands include Journey Unauthorized, The Cured, Purple Reign, Tenth Avenue North, Moonwalker, Hot August Night and more.
Yum... OC Fair Food:
- Chicken Charlie will return with lots of deep-fried foods like cereal, peanut butter and jelly, spam, pineapple and more.
- Get your bacon fix with bacon wrapped turkey legs, deep-fried beer-battered bacon-wrapped hot dogs or the Smokey Porkabello, a bacon-wrapped mushroom with smoked Gouda.
- Pineapple Express (courtesy of Chicken Charlie) features cored out pineapples filled with shrimp cocktail, fruit and grilled shrimp or chicken and more.
- $2 Taste of Fair Food: Every Friday from noon-4 p.m., Fairgoers can sample the best the Fair has to offer for only $2 each. Fun-sized samples include funnel cake, BBQ tri-tip, lemonade, cinnamon rolls, corn dogs, tacos, gelato, cotton candy and more.
- Chocolate Unwrapped: Come learn how chocolate is made, from the bean to the bar. Complete with demonstrations by Xan Confections.
- Food Truck Fare at the OC Fair: Find gourmet fare within the fair as the popular Food Truck Fare continues inside fair gates, offering food truck cuisine every Thursday from noon-10 p.m. Access is free with fair admission and prices vary per truck.
The OC Fair & Event Center is located off the 405 and 55 freeways at 88 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa.
For more information, please visit www.ocfair.com